Migraine is a One of the types of headaches , and it is one of the most famous diseases, and many suffer from brain pain and frequent headaches, which causes pain or a feeling of pulse, or what is known as migraine, is limited to one side of the head.
It also causes excessive sensitivity to light and sound, and is accompanied by severe pain that lasts for hours, and can be severe enough to not be able to carry out daily activities.
In this article, we will discuss more about the causes of migraines, their symptoms, and ways to treat them through Duxpert.
What are the causes of migraine headaches?
There is no clear reason for what causes what is known as a migraine headache, and the causes can differ from one person to another. We will mention the most famous of these symptoms, which are as follows:
- Hormonal changes and disturbances, especially in women during menstruation, as a result of hormonal changes in their body.
- Exposure to stress, depression or anxiety.
- Exposure to constant fatigue and exhaustion without taking enough sleep, it is considered one of the most important causes of migraine attacks and may cause a drop in blood pressure .
- Eat some foods rich in caffeine or eat some foods that trigger migraines, such as: Chocolate, sour fruits;
- Irregularity in the dates of healthy foods.
- Taking some hormonal medications such as birth control pills causes a wave of severe headaches or frequent headaches, and it is also known as one of the causes of migraines
- Exposure to noises, annoying sounds and smells, they lead to migraines.
It causes several symptoms, including:
- Change of mood
- Partial or complete loss of vision.
- Vision disturbances.
- Cravings for certain types of food
- Neck stiffness and stiffness
- Excessive thirst and frequent urge to urinate
How to diagnose a migraine
There are several ways to detect the causes of migraines, and they include:
The doctor first looks at a family history of migraines and what causes them, and diagnoses migraines based on your medical history, symptoms, and a physical and neurological examination.
- An MRI scan to get the best pictures of the head and blood vessels . This procedure also helps diagnose tumors, brain hemorrhages and infections, strokes and other diseases related to the nervous system.
- A computed tomography (CT) scan is used to create cross-sectional images of the brain that detect the causes of migraines. This procedure also helps the doctor detect brain tumors, And many other medical problems that may cause headaches.
Headache attacks and their types can be classified into two types:
Headache without aura
- This type of headache is considered recurrent and is known to be the most common type. It affects a person with 5 typical attacks and lasts from 5 hours to 72 hours or more, depending on the person’s condition. Here the patient feels some symptoms, including severe headache with a feeling of nausea, sensitivity to light, noise and vomiting.
- This type is known as chronic migraine headache.
- It is not accompanied by an aura and is exacerbated by continuous overuse of symptomatic medication.
Migraine with aura (aura)
A person suffers from two attacks of this type of headache accompanied by an aura, and its symptoms are as follows:
- Feeling numb, numb, or trouble speaking
- Vision disturbances
- This type of migraine lasts from 5 minutes to less than 60 minutes.
Migraine treatment methods
Treatment methods for migraine differ according to the type and severity of headaches that affect the person, and treatment methods include the following:
- The doctor prescribes some pain relievers to treat the causes of migraines and to relieve and stop the symptoms associated with migraines, such as: Aspirin, acetaminophen and other sedative medications.
- Take opioid medications as they contain codeine that helps treat it, but it must be taken under the supervision of your doctor treating your condition because it may cause addiction.
- Take preventive medications to avoid headaches, including: Blood pressure control medications and other preventative medications.
- Medicines that treat seizures, where the doctor prescribes this type of medication to avoid seizures.
- Take antidepressants .
- Use of antiemetics in cases of migraine with aura, which accompanies the appearance of the following symptoms, such as: Nausea and vomiting.
Lifestyle and behavior modification
It is necessary to pay attention to modifying the lifestyle and behavior to avoid including:
- Take care to take enough rest and sleep for sufficient periods with rest and not stress.
- Avoid stress and tension and be patient.
- Set a regular bedtime and eating schedule each day.
- Pay attention to drinking natural fluids and drinking enough water throughout the day to keep the body hydrated.
- Pay attention to regular exercise, especially exercises that reduce stress, such as yoga and swimming, and cycling.
- Work to reduce the consumption of stimulant drinks.
- Quit smoking
Headaches can be treated naturally by:
- Use cold compresses on the forehead or neck to reduce pain and reduce blood flow that causes headache pain.
- Avoid caffeine, which is found in coffee, chocolate, beverages, and some foods
- Sitting in a dark room with low light
- Eating natural herbs such as star anise and mint, which may help prevent the causes or reduce its symptoms.
- Relaxing and taking deep breaths may help relax the muscles.
- Avoid obesity and being overweight, as it increases the risk of infection and is one of the causes of chronic headaches, Therefore, maintaining a healthy weight through proper exercise and eating a healthy diet will provide you with health benefits and avoid chronic migraines.
Ways to prevent a migraine attack
In order to protect yourself from a migraine attack, you must do the following:
- Make sure to eat green leafy vegetables because they do not play an important role in preventing headaches.
- Good sleep, as the sufficient hours of sleep throughout the day range between 6 to 8 hours.
- Doing exercise such as: Yoga because it reduces migraines later.
- Eating vitamin B12, which is found in milk and fish, also contributes to reducing the risk of migraine attacks.
- Avoid eating certain foods such as cheese.
- Bright lights, high pressure and strong odors should be avoided.
- Find time that you can enjoy for at least 30 minutes each day. This could be a favorite food, a game you play, or your favorite drink, such as: coffee.
- Doing something special that you can enjoy is a natural way to avoid stress.
How to treat a migraine headache for a pregnant woman?
Pregnant women can get this headache as a result of hormonal changes during pregnancy and if drug treatment is necessary, The doctor prescribes paracetamol at a reduced dose or ibuprofen. As for preventive treatments during pregnancy, the doctor does not prescribe drug therapy except in some severe cases.
In the end
At the end of this article, we recommend seeking medical help if there are no changes to relieve symptoms or reduce the incidence of migraine headaches.
Treatment at Duxpert primarily focuses on the prevention of migraine causes from the start. And how to control the accompanying symptoms and methods of treatment.
What is Docspert Health?
Docspert Health is the leading platform in the MENA region that helps patients consult the leading international medical experts in UK, USA and Europe without the hassle and costs of travelling.
Consult a world-class expert specialized in
Meet the expert by video or get a virtual case review with the support of our medical team and receive a comprehensive medical report from the expert that includes the accurate diagnosis, the best treatment plan for the condition and answers to all your questions.
Our medical team supports you throughout the consultation process.