The kidneys are one of the most important organs of the human body, as the human body contains two kidneys the size of a fist. They are located near the middle of the back and just below the rib cage. It is responsible for filtering the blood and removing toxins and excess water by turning it into urine. Healthy kidneys also secrete hormones that promote healthy and strong bones and blood.
And through this article, we will deal in more detail about everything related to the symptoms of kidney failure and reveal the most important causes, methods of diagnosis and how to treat it through the specialist doctor of " Duxpert Health ".
What is kidney failure?
Renal failure is an acute chronic disease which is the end of renal disease. It results in the cessation or severe weakness of one or both of the kidneys. As a result, they lose the ability to do their job effectively. As a result, the body is unable to get rid of toxins, waste, and excess fluids. This leads to a significant imbalance in blood chemistry, This results in many health problems and symptoms of kidney failure, and there are two types of it:
- acute renal failure
- Chronic kidney failure.
In these following lines, we will discuss more about the symptoms of the disease, both acute and chronic.
Symptoms of kidney failure
There are many symptoms that occur in a person with acute or chronic kidney disease, and we will address the most common symptoms of acute and chronic failure through the following lines:
Symptoms of acute kidney failure
It is an acute, sudden and rapid cessation of kidney function within a short period, This leads to the accumulation of waste fluids in the body, The high level of urea in the blood , and this failure is dangerous and chronic and may cause death if it is not treated in the required manner and as soon as possible, and the reason for this is sudden ischemia of the kidneys due to severe dehydration, or loss of large amounts of blood and one of the most famous symptoms of acute renal failure she:
- Significant loss of appetite and weight loss.
- feeling vomiting, nauseated, dizziness;
- Little or no urine output
- Paleness in the patient's skin color as a result of anemia.
- Swelling of the body and general weakness in the patient's body.
- Feeling of dry throat and thirst due to lack of fluid in the body.
- Swelling of the legs as a result of fluid accumulation in the body due to lack of secretion.
- renal coma, As a result of the accumulation of urea in the body.
- Severe pain in the abdomen.
Symptoms of chronic kidney failure
Chronic renal failure occurs as a result of complete and persistent failure in kidney function. Which makes the kidneys unable to get rid of toxins and body waste and accumulate them in his body, and it accompanies many symptoms of chronic kidney failure, which are as follows:
- Continuous and chronic high blood pressure.
- Feeling of exhaustion and general fatigue of the patient, Mood swings, depression, and emotional stress.
- The patient feels nausea and vomiting due to lack of eating and appetite blockage.
- Myocardial weakness and failure.
- anemia; Because the blood in the body contains a large amount of salt, And the lack of food eaten by the patient.
- swelling of the lungs, fluid accumulation in it, This leads to difficulty breathing.
- Inflammation of the heart muscle and the membrane that it contains.
Other symptoms of kidney failure
There are some other general symptoms that lead to kidney failure, and the most important symptoms of kidney failure are:
- Exposure to cases of vomiting and nausea.
- Severe chest pain and unexplained weight loss.
- Feeling of numbness or numbness in the extremities.
- Suffering from severe pain in the bones.
- Changes in skin color than usual.
- The patient's feeling of extreme thirst.
- Suffering from insomnia and difficulty sleeping.
- Easily bruise and bleed.
- Urinating more, less, or no longer than usual.
- Menopause in women.
Causes of kidney failure
There are many causes that lead to kidney failure , the most important of which are the following:
- Having some chronic diseases such as diabetes .
- Persistent and uncontrolled high blood pressure.
- Infection with cases of nephritis.
- Kidney cysts.
- prolonged obstruction of the urethra, such as an enlarged prostate, Or having some types of cancer in the same area and infection in the kidney pelvis.
- Having some heart diseases and not following the correct treatment regimen.
- Taking some types of antihypertensive drugs.
- Having a heart attack or chronic heart attacks.
- Infection with some types of viral or bacterial infections.
- Excessive use of some analgesics; Like: ibuprofen, naproxen, and others.
Methods for diagnosing kidney failure
There are many diagnostic methods used by the physician at Duxpert Health to detect the causes of kidney failure to determine the appropriate treatment plan with the nature of each case. Among the diagnostic methods are the following:
- perform a urinalysis tested; In order to look for any abnormalities, including abnormal protein or sugar in the urine. The doctor may also do a urine sediment test; To measure the amount of red and white blood cells, And look for bacteria levels.
- Urine volume measurement is one of the simplest tests to help diagnose symptoms of kidney failure.
- If there is low urine output, this indicates a blockage in the urinary tract.
- Taking blood samples to determine the level of urea nitrogen in the blood, creatinine, A rapid rise in these levels may indicate acute renal failure.
- Performing some imaging tests such as ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography to produce a set of images of the kidneys themselves in order to detect obstructions or abnormalities in the kidneys.
- Echo examination, which is the best way to detect the condition of the kidneys, their size, and the shape of the kidneys
- Tomography of the kidney to assess the nature of cystic masses
- Taking a sample of kidney tissue, where the tissue samples are examined for the presence of abnormal deposits, and this is done by inserting a needle through the skin, down to the kidneys to obtain the sample, under local anaesthesia, It is determined by x-ray or ultrasound machines.
Kidney failure treatment methods
The treatment methods used vary according to the disease state of the person and based on the case of kidney failure and the diagnostic methods used to determine the appropriate treatment plan with the nature of each case. The most popular treatment methods are:
- Where the doctor prescribes some types of medications to treat the causes of kidney failure or insufficiency, including prescribing medications to control the level of blood pressure.
- taking the hormone erythropoietin; It is a hormone secreted by the kidneys to compensate for the lack of this hormone, as it activates the bone marrow to manufacture and renew red blood cells.
Lifestyle change therapy
- Make sure to eat protein and red meat. And limit the intake of fish because it contains high levels of phosphates.
- The need to limit the consumption of canned food and salt; and processed foods because they contain high levels of sodium.
- Take care to reduce fat; Because increasing it increases the risk of hardening of the arteries. Heart attacks, high blood pressure, and blood cholesterol.
In the end
At the end of this article, we recommend seeking medical help in the event of any changes in the nature of the body and feeling the symptoms of kidney failure that were mentioned previously, as the treatment at Duxpert Health focuses primarily on the diagnosis and treatment of kidney failure and how to control the symptoms associated with it.
It was also clarified in this article about what is kidney failure, its most important causes and treatment methods through Duxpert Health. If you encounter any questions or inquiries, do not hesitate to send them to be answered as soon as possible.
What is Docspert Health?
Docspert Health is the leading platform in the MENA region that helps patients consult the leading international medical experts in UK, USA and Europe without the hassle and costs of travelling.
Consult a world-class expert specialized in
Meet the expert by video or get a virtual case review with the support of our medical team and receive a comprehensive medical report from the expert that includes the accurate diagnosis, the best treatment plan for the condition and answers to all your questions.
Our medical team supports you throughout the consultation process.