Some suffer from different types of pain caused by inflammation legs, Until it ends at the bottom of the feet It usually affects the lower side of the body only. The severity of the injury varies according to the disease situation and the nature of each person. The pain can also extend to the bottom of the foot, which is known as sciatica.
Through this article, we will learn together about the definition of sciatica, what are its causes, symptoms, methods of diagnosis, and methods of treatment through the specialist doctor of "Duxpert Health".
What is sciatica?
It is inflammation of the sciatic nerve , and it is A disease of the nervous system that is represented by pain in the lower extremity as a result of severe spasticity, Where it begins suddenly with the first symptoms and develops gradually, until it eventually increases in intensity or severity, The patient may feel some symptoms that include weakness, numbness, burning or numbness in the lower leg and may extend up to the tip of the toes; We will discuss in more detail about its most common symptoms in the following lines.
Symptoms of sciatica
There are many symptoms that occur in a person suffering from sciatica, and the most famous of these symptoms are:
- Sensation of tingling or numbness in the lower back, all the way to the toes
- Weakness and stiffness of the leg muscles that move the foot and ankle
- Severe pain down the spine, all the way to the buttocks, and down the back of the leg and foot
- Chronic muscle strain
- numbness in the extremities (leg)
- Loss of ability to move normally
- Muscular weakness in the leg or foot
Causes of sciatica
The incidence of sciatica is due to the presence of many reasons that in turn lead to sciatica, the most famous of which are the following:
- The main cause of sciatica is a herniated disc or a herniated disc, a condition that wears down the cartilage between the bones of the spine. This is painful if pressure is placed on the nerves. In particular, the sciatic nerve or sciatica in the lower back. This is caused by age-related damage to the normal discs. Where the spinal discs lose some fluids with age, This makes it more prone to ruptures or hernias as a result of extreme stress and is accompanied by pain, muscle numbness and weakness in the leg.
- Incidence of conditions (narrowing of the spinal canal and foramen), Which can cause pain, numbness and weakness in one or both legs.
- back sprain, As a result of lifting heavy weights and incorrect standing method.
- In cases of piriformis muscle syndrome, which is a small muscle located inside the buttocks, Its contraction or spasm may put pressure on the sciatic nerve, causing it to become inflamed and irritated.
- Spinal stenosis, which results in a narrowing of the spinal canal, which eventually leads to pressure on the nerves.
- Spondylolisthesis is when one of the vertebrae deviates from the vertebrae above it and leads to a narrowing of the opening through which the nerve exits .
- Follow an inactive lifestyle, where people who sit for long periods or exert excessive effort are more likely to develop sciatic nerve pain.
- Gout as a result of excessive smoking and eating foods that exacerbate the disease.
Methods for diagnosing sciatica
There are many diagnostic methods that the specialist at Duxpert Health uses to detect the most important causes of sciatica , and accordingly, the appropriate treatment plan is determined. Among the diagnostic methods used are the following:
- Conducting a medical examination and detecting symptoms of sciatic nerve pain, in which the focus is on the nerve functions of the lower extremities, such as muscle strength, sensitivity to sensation, nerve reflexes, and outlet functions.
- Do some specialized radiology, such as an MRI or CT scan, in which the herniated disc usually shows its size and pressure on the sciatic nerve, and detect any changes that have appeared as a result of this pressure.
- Conducting some laboratory tests, such as conducting a blood test and other tests that may appear as a cause of sciatic nerve pain.
- Performing some imaging tests, such as plain X-rays and CT scans, to reveal the severity of the pressure of the cartilage on the sciatic nerve.
- Perform some magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scans and other imaging procedures to reveal the most important nature and degree of pain or inflammation in the spine and sciatic nerve.
Sciatica treatment methods
There are many treatment methods used by the doctor specialized in “Duxpert Health” to several methods. The appropriate treatment method is selected according to the person’s disease condition and the degree of his diagnosis. The most important treatment methods used in the treatment of sciatica are as follows:
- Where the doctor prescribes some pain medication and anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve pain and muscle stiffness such as NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen.
- Spinal injections where an anti-inflammatory drug similar to cortisone is injected into the lower spine to reduce swelling and reduce inflammation of the nerve roots.
- Some muscle relaxants such as cyclobenzaprine are prescribed to relieve muscle spasms.
- Where physical therapy aims to perform some therapeutic exercises, which in turn work to relieve sciatic nerve pain by reducing pressure on the nerve; Physical therapy programs include stretching exercises to enhance the flexibility of tight muscles and aerobic exercises that are beneficial for the health of the heart and blood vessels such as walking and other exercises useful in the treatment of sciatica.
- A physical therapist also recommends certain exercises that strengthen the muscles in the back, abdomen and legs.
Surgical treatment is included in some cases that do not respond to traditional treatment, exacerbate symptoms and feel severe pain. Surgical treatment is resorted to in the following cases:
- Partial discectomy where you use a surgical procedure to remove portions of a herniated disc.
- Treatment of lumbar disc herniation that results in severe and persistent leg pain, lower limb weakness, Usually, a spinal surgeon performs a delicate surgical procedure to remove a portion of a herniated disc in order to decompress the sciatic nerve.
- To relieve pain, the bone that wraps around the spinal cord and that compresses the sciatic nerve is removed.
In the end
At the end of this article, we recommend seeking medical help in case of any changes in the nature of the body and feeling the symptoms of sciatica that were mentioned previously, as the treatment at Duxpert Health focuses primarily on the diagnosis and treatment of sciatica and how to control the accompanying symptoms.
It was also clarified in this article about ways to treat the symptoms of sciatica and its most important causes through Duxpert Health, and if you encounter any question or inquiry, do not hesitate to send it to be answered as soon as possible.
What is Docspert Health?
Docspert Health is the leading platform in the MENA region that helps patients consult the leading international medical experts in UK, USA and Europe without the hassle and costs of travelling.
Consult a world-class expert specialized in
Meet the expert by video or get a virtual case review with the support of our medical team and receive a comprehensive medical report from the expert that includes the accurate diagnosis, the best treatment plan for the condition and answers to all your questions.
Our medical team supports you throughout the consultation process.